Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Who We Are: Strength+Beauty


Project Overview
This project is geared towards the empowerment of young Polynesian women in this community in addressing the real life issues that they face and examining the historical roles of women in their culture. The program curriculum will weave the real life struggle of young Polynesian women in balancing cultural and generational differences in a Polynesian Woman's role in society with the historical role of Pacific Islander Monarchs and the leadership and educational examples they set in an effort to broaden the young women's perceptions of the opportunities of higher education and to inspire all Polynesian women to fulfill their dreams and become leaders in this community.

The inspiration to begin this proposal stems from my own life experiences and the stories of my grandmothers. My life experiences of being torn between two cultures left me with a life filled with much pain and affliction. But it was the power of education that led me to a path of a life unknown to many young Polynesian women. Many Polynesian families within our community struggle to make ends meet making it impossible to allow their children to pursue higher education. Financial hardships for school are not the only problems plaguing our community but the responsibility we hold through our culture to help support and provide for our families. As a young woman starting out at the University of Alaska Anchorage I found myself helpless and alone. At the time of attending UAA my family and I lived in a house that had only 3 rooms for a family of nine. My parents worked hours of overtime to help provide and support our family. As an older sibiling, I knew I had to accept my responisbilities and find a job. I was blessed by getting a job with the Bureau of Land Management as an intern at their office downtown. This job allowed me to work the hours that I could do which gave me more room to focus more on school. The money I got from this job not only helped me support myself in getting my books for school but also helped put food on the table and pay bills. Both my parents held jobs that had long hours making it seem almost impossible to even give me a ride to school or work. Determined as I was I would wake up every morning to get ready to catch the bus for work then take the bus from work to school. This routine lasted for more than half my years at the univiersity. It was a privilege to learn how to appreciate the smaller things in order to work my way up. It was through education that I have been able to shape my life in ways that I can see many other young women achieve. The struggle is short-lived but a life lived by education is a life long lived. My struggle to fight the battle of domestic abuse and depression made me stronger as an individual and as a young woman to empower myself through higher education and culture. My grandmothers stood as my role models in my life always being an example to me to be a strong woman and to have the faith to believe I can make something of myself. They reminded me not only to be humble of my beginnings but also become inspired achieving my dreams and goals in life and to always work hard. Achieving this education I received from UAA allowed me to discover the strengths I had to in me only to overcome through the hardships which motivated me to do the impossible. With education I was able to create a path of new opportunities, ones that I would have never thought would be available to me before. I want to share my personal testimony with other young Polynesian women to share and encourage them that they are not alone in this and that they are capable of achieving their highest dreams in life and being an inspiration unto themselves.


From Hawaii to Tonga to Samoa there was one thing in common that these neighboring South Pacific islands had and it was the strength and courage that graces the identity of all Polynesian women. Our inspiration as young Polynesian women came not from what we are made of but of the women that came before us establishing our character through our values in family and culture. Through times of adversity Polynesian women were always known to fight through challenges and hardships yet still stand and remain humble and grateful in all that they have accomplished. Throughout family bloodlines of all nations in the South Pacific, Polynesian women were born with the gifts of inner strength and beauty, sacrificing more than just their lives but giving birth to a generation of women that would continue their legacy and establish a trail of hope and faith for all women to become inspired and empowered. In times of male dominance there were those few women who stood out amongst the rest defying the odds and changing history. Described as women of great humility and respect, they were women given the titles as queens but ruled with the rights and the power of a king. These queens would make a lasting impression on their kingdoms and impact its people and culture throughout the generations. This began a new era of womanhood in which this event will showcase the strengths of Pacific Islander women not only from the past but also the present day.


The legacies and stories of their accomplishments live on in many Polynesian women of today’s generation. In today's media they do not recognize Polynesian women for their accomplishments or achievements but through research and technology we are able to bring the resources needed to help reach out to our generation of Polynesian women in encouraging and empowering them through education and culture. The goal of this event is to establish a place for Polynesian women to be inspired, pursue education and learn to become young leaders in the Polynesian community.

0 comments: